How To Make Your Own Potato Chips
Everyone loves potato chips, but many people don’t realize how many harmful ingredients they contain. If you want an easier, faster, and healthier way to make and eat potato chips, try our recipe for healthy kettle potato chips today!
Homemade Potato Chips Notes
There are a few things that we want to mention before jumping into the recipe!
- By rinsing or soaking the potatoes it will make your potato chips crispier. It is also helpful to remove some of the starch content from the potatoes which will also reduce the carb content and will help with digestion.
- You can choose whether you want to peel the potatoes! Some people like eating the potato skins. It is up to your personal preference, but make sure your potatoes are clean either way!
- We recommend using a mandoline to slice your potatoes. This is easier and more efficient than using a knife.
It is important to use high-quality ingredients in any recipe that you make! We have a few recommendations when it comes to our ingredients:
- Make sure the oil you use is 100% pure oil. Many brands contain chemicals, propellants, and preservatives. In our avocado oil spray, the only ingredient is oil!
- Pink Himalayan salt is one of the best salts to use. Many brands of salt are highly refined, processed, and bleached. This strips away all of the natural minerals. Himalayan salt is low in sodium, unbleached, and has over 80 minerals! This is a great, healthy option to add to your food. Another brand of salt that we highly recommend is the Real Salt brand.
- Potatoes are considered part of the “dirty dozen”, meaning that they have more pesticides per pound than other vegetables, even after being washed and peeled. Make sure you buy organic potatoes to keep those chemicals out of your body!
How to Make Our Healthy Potato Chips
This simple recipe is perfect for a quick, healthy snack! To begin this recipe, you will want to wash your potatoes well. This will help remove some of the starch in your potatoes, but more importantly, it will help remove some of the harmful chemicals found in potatoes.
Next, you want to thinly slice each of your potatoes and put them on a silicon mat or a piece of parchment paper. Spray the tops of the potatoes with the avocado oil spray, or another spray that is 100% oil. To finish, sprinkle with the Himalayan salt and put in the microwave.
Cook the potatoes for 2 ½ minutes, flip, and microwave for another 60-90 seconds. The potatoes should be golden and crispy! Let your potato chips cool, then enjoy your healthy snack!
Homemade Potato Chip Recipe
- Avocado Oil Spray
- Himalayan Salt
- Rinse or soak your potatoes in water.
- Peel the potatoes if you want to remove the skin (optional).
- Use a mandoline or a kitchen knife to slice the potatoes into thin, even slices.
- Place the slices of potato on a piece of parchment paper or on a silicon mat in the microwave.
- Spray the top of each potato slice with the avocado oil spray.
- Sprinkle the Himalayan salt on each potato slice.
- Microwave the potatoes for 2 1/2 minutes, flip potatoes, and microwave for another 60-90 seconds. The potatoes should be golden and crispy.
- Let the chips cool and enjoy!